Tuesday, March 12, 2013

#26



This participant is near and dear to my heart. When I first began the campaign a few years ago, I was sure that she would never want to participate. I didn't bother but ask her once, and then gave up on the request.

The 'pudge' highlighted is a sub-category I have never photographed before, and I could hardly get my lens to focus on the faded markings. I am sure my blog readers will have a little trouble in recognizing the insecurity. I moved the position of my lens several times, attempting to catch an angle that would show the scars. I could not understand why these scars that were so painfully visible to both the participant and to me in real life, yet would not show up in my lens. These scars represented so much to this individual in her life, and it has taken years for her to overcome the pain they have caused her.

I am unbelievably flattered that she chose to not only reveal her marks for the first time in such a public space, but also that she chose Love the Pudge as her avenue to release the insecurity. An individual who lives life with vigor, adventure and excitement--a true Free Spirit, she radiates--no longer bound by the pain these markings attempted to give her.



No comments:

Post a Comment